Monday, July 25, 2011

Ready, set, blame the Muslims!

Source: twitter.com/#!/Strange_Sanum

Have to wait forever for Doctor Who to start airing again? #blamethemuslims

Seriously though, I haven't laughed so hard in months as I did today, going through Sanum Ghafoor's (also known as Strange_Sanum) tweets on twitter, most of them trending 'blame the Muslims.' As a Muslim myself, I am always ready to jump to the defense of my religion and those who follow it, but only if the defense is deserved. In this case, I don't believe any defense is necessary.

Why? Because the trend was clearly, at least in my opinion though others seemed to think otherwise, satirical. There's no need to champion the Muslim cause against a Muslim who was simply trying to make a point in the wake of a terrible tragedy: it's way too easy to just blame the Muslims when something goes wrong in the world.

The explosion of outrage and retweeting that has followed this trend is both comforting and worrying. It's comforting because it's nice to see that there are a lot of people out there who understand that Islam is not all about hate, killing infidels and Sharia law. It's worrying on two counts: one, it's revealed that a lot of people seem to have missed the whole point, take things way too seriously and need to relax just a bit (Muslims, where did your sense of humour go?). And two, it has also revealed that there are still many people that have access to the internet (God help us all) and have their own band of followers that remain ignorant and filled with hate.

I applaud Strange_Sanum for her boldness, intelligence, and quick rise to "G" status (yeah, I went there), please never stop being fantastic. For the rest of you lovely people out there, relax, take a deep breath, and don't forget to blame the Muslims.

;-)

P.S. Also, if you could find the Aljazeera stream and link it to me before doing so, that would be lovely. Google search is failing me currently, it's probably Muslim.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you love, great article explaining it all. X

    p.s eagerly awaiting the return of Doctor Who as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is hilarious. I'm not Muslim, so I almost feel like I'm not allowed to think it's funny, but it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm honored that you like it <3 Doctor Who will be back sooner rather than later

    Also, you don't have to be Muslim to find it funny! We welcome all into our humour bosom.

    ReplyDelete